I just saw this article about the Wisconsin Wave, and I think it's what most of Wisconsin has been asking for. They had a rally Saturday at the Capitol with some prominent members of our state.
It's a non-partisan Wisconsin movement that stands for these basic things:
- Our state government must guarantee a fully funded public sector including education, health care, human services, transportation, public safety, and vital regulatory agencies.
- Taxes on large corporations and wealthy individuals should be returned to reasonable levels in order to solve the state’s fiscal crisis.
- The state must respect the rights of workers to organize unions and bargain collectively.
- Initial budget priorities must be established through public participation instead of closed door meetings between public officials and special interest lobbyists.
- Voting rights must be expanded, not limited, to insure that every Wisconsinite can take part in our democracy.
- Wisconsin deserves government of, by, and for the people, not the corporate elite; corporations have no constitutional rights and may not buy our elections or government.
Wisconsin Wave seems to be the most organized group aligned with the interests of the protesters, and it includes many leaders from our communities. We really need to get behind a few good organizations, so we can focus our energy best.