Friday, April 8, 2011

Government Accountability Board Dispatched To Waukesha County

WisPolitics reports that the Government Accountability Board has sent staff to Waukesha County to "review business processes and verify reported results in the Supreme Court race," with regard to the county's unreported votes from the entire city of Brookfield totaling over 14,000.

This is good news for the integrity of elections in Wisconsin, and given the relevant questions regarding the election system, I would urge the GAB staff to physically inspect and if possible guard the system to ensure its integrity. I'm not saying anyone did anything improper, but I am saying that many doors to that system appear to be left open that shouldn't and aren't in most, if not all, other counties in Wisconsin. With that, based on my knowledge as well as knowledge from others in the computer field, the delayed explanation we were given for the "human error" doesn't sound plausible, and so we must question. We deserve further explanation, and quickly.

Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus will be making the official returns available to the public upon the GAB's request. Unfortunately, I think the only way we'll know the truth for certain is to count all of the ballots in the county.

I'm sorry that I'm going to plug this again, but I think it's important. By supporting efforts such as the Open Voting Consortium, we can add more transparency to our elections and avoid these situations altogether.

If you are unfamiliar with the questions regarding the security of the Waukesha election system and the delayed explanation of the "human error," you may find my thoughts informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment